Christmas is coming and what an awesome time of year it is. With the food, the drinks, the time with family and friends, the presents and often a much-needed holiday, what’s not to love?
With all this fun, happiness, excitement and preparation though, we can forget to think about other things like our home, our office and insurance in particular, is often nothing more than an afterthought. Because let’s face it, who wants to think about insurance at Christmas time?
The reality is that the holiday season presents a number of risks for potential insurance claims. The good news is that these risks can, thankfully, be avoided. “How?” you ask? Let’s find out.
Secure your home
Going on a holiday this Christmas? Good! Don’t forget to check a few things (twice) before you leave:
- Lock up everything
- Put away or secure any items that can be removed from the property
- Turn off any power points or electrical items to reduce the risk of fire
- Ask a neighbour, family member or friend to keep an eye on your property for you
- Do your best to make your house look ‘lived in’ – this may include having a neighbour park their car in your driveway, having your mail collected, your bins taken out and brought back in and setting a timer for lights, or even the TV, to come on at night.
- Make sure you have a current home and contents insurance policy in place
Don’t forget your business
We get it. You don’t want to think about work when you’re on holiday and we don’t blame you, but it’s important that it’s protected too.
- Establish locking up procedure
- Be aware of everyone entering and exiting your premises
- Confirm key holder contact details
- Keep perimeter well-lit
- Display signage
- Ensure all electrical appliances are in safe mode
- Ensure you have a current business insurance policy in place
Make sure your holiday season is all about fun, food, friends and family, not about claims… Use these tips to help!
If you’re lucky enough to receive some valuable gifts this Christmas, we recommended you review your insurance policies too.
Want to ensure you’re covered before Christmas by reviewing your existing insurance cover? Contact Grace Insurance in Perth for assistance today.